Poll finds GOP supports Trump, even though nearly half of Republicans want another candidate in 2024
A new poll says nearly half of Republicans think someone other than Donald Trump should lead the GOP presidential ticket in 2024.
But the CNN poll released Sunday, and conducted by SSRS, also found that nearly two-thirds of Republicans want Trump to continue leading the party, reflecting division over the future of the GOP.
In a poll of more than 2,100 people between Aug. 3 and Sept. 7, 63% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said they wanted Trump as leader of the Republican Party, with 37% disagreeing. But on the question of the 2024 presidential race, only 51% said Republicans would have a better chance of winning the White House if Trump was running; 49% said another candidate would have a better chance. Trump’s support was greater among self-identifying conservatives and Republicans.
Also read: 3 GOP contenders for 2024 presidential race criticize Biden over Afghanistan
The poll had a margin of error of 2.8 percentage points.
On a question asking what being a Republican meant to them, about 60% of respondents said supporting Trump, and his false claims that he won the 2020 election, as at least somewhat important. That compared to 69% saying opposing Democratic policies, 81% saying supporting congressional Republicans, 85% saying holding conservative positions and values, and 86% saying the federal government should have less power.